How to Create a Vision Board to Reach Your Goals
A picture is worth a thousand words – unknown
A vision board can be a great tool to take you to the next level in goal planning and creating your best life. Why? Because a vision board is a real and visual reminder of your goals and dreams. And seeing a visual reminder on a regular basis will keep you focused on creating a life you love.
When it comes to creating a vision board, how to make one can seem a little daunting at first. But making a vision board is actually easy and fun to do.
Read on to learn how to create a vision board to reach your goals.
“This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Full disclosure here.”
What is a Vision Board?
A vision board is simply a tool to help you get clear and focus on what you want in your life. You can create physical, tangible DIY vision boards with a variety of materials, or you can create a virtual vision board online. Either way, your board should be created with images and phrases that represent what you want in life or the goals you are working towards.
Why Use a Vision Board?
Why do you need a vision board? And exactly how does it help you to reach your goals?
The purpose of a vision board is to keep your goals and dreams front and center. We tend to get sidetracked and overwhelmed in everyday life. Vision boards are a simple but powerful way to visualize what you want and serve as a constant reminder of what you want to achieve.
Many highly successful people have used them for years.
“Creating a vision board is probably one of the most valuable visualization tools available to you.”New York Times bestselling author Jack Canfield, creator of the series, “Chicken Soup For The Soul.”
Vision boards are a visual way to focus on the goals you want to achieve, plan what you want your life to be like, the items you want, the things you want to do and places you want to go.
How Do You Create a Vision Board?
Okay, so creating a vision board for your goals sounds great and you’re ready to get started, right?
Here’s how to create a vision board that actually works for you:
Whether you are making a physical vision board or a digital version, simply start by outlining your goals and what you want to accomplish.
These goals can be about the job you want to have, relationships you want to develop or improve, the money you want to make, the home you want to live in, the trips you want to take…you get the picture.
If you want to achieve it, put it on your vision board. It’s as simple as that.
Click on the Video Below for How to Create a Vision Board on a Budget!
The Basics of Creating a Board
Get clear on your focus and your biggest goals.
Decide what you want. Are you creating a general board for your life goals? Will you narrow your focus to business or career goals? Will your focus on your financial goals? Relationships? Home life? Your bucket list?
- Write down your most important goals for each area you are working on. These can be short-term goals, long-term goals, or a combination of all. The goals you include should be the top goals that are motivating to you.
- To determine the best goals, ask yourself some tough questions about how you want your life to look. Here are a few to help you get started:
- How do you want your life to look in the future?
- What words or quotes represent your goal or remind you of what you want to achieve?
- Why do you want this goal?
- What do you want to create?
Decide what type of board you want to create.
One option is the traditional type, created on paper or posterboard with cut out images, words, and quotes. You can also stick images and words to a corkboard or fabric-covered board.
Another option is to create one digitally through an app such as the Hay House vision board app. This app is made specifically for creating vision boards. Another easy option is to create a secret Pinterest board and pin your favorite images and quotes there.
You could also simply create a journal-type notebook and glue or draw images of your favorite things.
Just decide on the type that you think will work best for you. If you find that what you initially create isn’t your style or that you don’t use it much, just modify it and change it up to find what works best for you.
Gather Your Inspiration and Motivation
Start collecting the images and words that inspire and motivate you.
Browse through magazines and catalogs. Look on Pinterest for ideas. Search for inspiring and motivations words and quotes that align with your goals. Write them down, cut them out or type and print them so you have them handy.
Consider including images of things you want to focus on like mindset, spirituality, and fitness. Think about exactly how you want your life to look and add these to your vision board.
You can include images of your future home, your dream car, or your ideal workspace. You can incorporate images and words about how you want to look physically (health-wise), products you want to create, or places you want to travel to.
Some ideas and examples of images and words for your vision board could be:
- Pictures of destinations you want to travel to or vacations to take
- Photos of your dream home or car
- Your career goals or personal goals
- Inspirational quotes
- Thoughts, feelings, emotions you want to experience daily
- Anything you love or want to achieve
Gather your supplies.
Cut out images from magazines, search images from the internet and collect inspirational words and phrases in a word doc that you can print.
Use fun gel pens, markers, and other art supplies to write on your board. Attach your images with fun, colorful push pins, glue, or tape. If you want to get a little fancier, you can add stickers, washi tape, glitter, or any other embellishment that fits your style.
Begin putting your images on your board.
Once you have your images, words, and supplies, you’re ready to get started. Use a variety of colors, textures, and different types of content to make your board visually appealing.
Hang your vision board where you will see it every day.
Look at it often and envision how it would feel to achieve everything on your board.
The basics of creating and using your vision board journal are simple. The main thing to remember is that it is personal to you, and there isn’t a right or wrong way. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it only needs to reflect your goals and dreams.
How Does a Vision Board Help You Reach Your Goals?
A vision board helps you to reach your goals because by creating a visual statement of your goals, with pictures and images, you are strengthening your resolve and motivating your emotions. Your mind responds incredibly strongly to visual stimulation.
The famous author of a popular personal development book, “Think and Grow Rich,” Napoleon Hill said,
“Man, alone, has the power to transform his thoughts into physical reality; man, alone, can dream and make his dreams come true.”
Believe it or not, your thoughts are powerful. So it’s important to pay attention to the thoughts that enter your mind. Because you get more of what you focus on in life.
For example, if you focus on success and achieving the goals you set for yourself, you are more likely to hit those goals. On the other hand, if you focus on obstacles, how others are luckier than you, or the “nothing ever goes my way” types of thoughts, then you’ll be less likely to achieve your goals.
This is why a vision board can help. The images and words you choose for your board are a visual representation of your thoughts, desires, and goals.
Your board is a tool that can motivate and inspire you to take daily action toward your goals by:
- Helping you stay focused and motivated to take actionable steps.
- Challenge you to think about what you want your life to be like and how you can create that life.
- It helps you get out of your rut in everyday life and get creative with your routine.
- Creating a visual representation of your goals has psychological effects that move you and motivate you.
The Benefits of Vision Board
In addition to helping you achieve your goals and dreams, there are additional benefits to using vision boards as a life goal planner.
- Vison boards increase your chance of success. If you already write your goals on paper, a vision board can complement goal planning because it includes images, and that results in more concise thinking specifically about what you want. Instead of saying “I want a better life,” you instead focus on images that depict what you want your life to look like.
- Vision boards ramp up your emotions. When you are passionate about your goals and can get into the feeling of what you want, you are more likely to take inspired action.
- The visual reminders keep you focused, productive and motivated by creating an emotional connection that motivates you. That’s why it’s important to include the images and words that evoke emotion and feeling.
- Vision boards are fun to create. Remember – they don’t have to be perfect. Use the images and phrases that feel right. There are no rules. It just has to be inspirational to you.
- Vision boards help you believe your dreams are possible. (And they really are!) Seeing your images on a regular basis can transform your inner belief system into one that is self-motivated, confident, and positive.
Bottom line – creating a vision board to reach your goals can increase your chances for success because these visual reminders will inspire and motivate you to stay on the path towards an awesome life.
The benefits of creating a vision board to reach your goals in life far outweigh the time it takes to create them. If you want to see change, create a vision board!